Thursday, May 27, 2010

Responding to Do You Speak American?

In this documentary, Johnstone mentions that people are attached to place even in today's globalized world, and that when people talk about language they are often talking about place.

I am in complete agreement with this statement. This is especially true when the listener does not immediate knowledge of the place associated with the language. For example, when students in our class have talked about their first or home languages, it conjures up images of people in a specific place, with specific values. But it also true to conversations between people who share a regional variety of English or an accent also use conversations about language to reaffirm their bond.

Just last night, I was trying to find a farming phrases such as "put to the grasses" that I could use in my presentation on code meshing. Because I live in a community in which farming is the dominate occupation, I was eager to learn more about the phrases those in my community might use with the understanding that knowing them will bring me closer to being part of the community at-large.

No comments:

Post a Comment